Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thankful Tuesday: Three Things


Three of the many things I am grateful for this week are:
  • Jonas asking to be the Head Gift Wrapper this year. Given my lack of wrapping skills, maybe I should start taking advantage of the in-store wrapping services so generously offered at some stores. (The stores I visit never seem to give me this opportunity though, in part, I'm sure because of my determination to avoid the malls and big stores in December.) Bringing gifts home already wrapped scares me though. I worry that wrapping the gifts too early will encourage my memory to become even more short-term and make me forget what I've already bought. That always induces the horrific panic that comes when I think I've forgotten a niece or a nephew in all the chaos and it's just not worth it. On the other hand, teaching Jonas the joys of gift giving is something that's important to me. Letting him learn to take the time, and feel the pride, of giving that special gift some TLC makes me feel a little more like the mom I want to be.

       
  • Small stores and 24 hour shopping. I am not a shopper. I hate going to stores at this time of the year. Unfortunately, no matter how early you cross everything off your list, there is always something that needs to be bought at the height of the retail frenzy. Things like groceries and the last minute thing you kid forgot he needs for school. Some of the big stores have 24 hour shopping so I can stop in on my way to work at 5:30am. Others are smaller, a little off the beaten path, not nearly as popular as other places and carry a wide range of merchandise that appeals to my one-and-done perference.
 
  • Old friends. They say that kids make friends easily, and that may be true for some kids, but when you're the 8 year old kid who stutters, is sensative about it, and who thinks differently from the herd, it's not so easy. Jonas is having a very hard time making friends at his new school. He says that he doesn't have any friends there and it seems that they may be true. The continuity of having friends from before the school move is a true blessing. In the past couple of days he had the chance to for a play date with a friend he's had since kindergarten, and he also got to go a birthday party for Gavin and Leah, who are like a brother and sister to him. We're strategizing about ways to help him make friends at this school but spending time with friends who know and accept him does wonders for his self esteem which has been taking a beating lately. 
Weren't they cute! Jonas, Gavin and Leah have been friends since they were babies.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment