Friday, December 9, 2011

Queue the Mom Guilt

It's been a rough week around here. Jonas has been whiney, argumentative, and has been having meltdowns at home and at school. He had a REALLY rough day at school on Wednesday, so much so that his teacher sought me out to ask if he had his medication, or if something was happening that she didn't know about, because he was acting so out of character.

After all his hard work making his puppet and helping his six write their puppet show, we decided that I would go to Scouts alone on Wednesday night, so Jonas could stay home with Steve and get to bed early. He was so disappointed.  Queue the mom guilt. 

Honestly, it's been exhausting.  I'm fighting a cold, my energy and patience levels are low and my guilt level high. He's also got a cold and is still recovering from the weekend of late nights. He hasn't been eating or drinking very much this week, which I suspect is a combination of his medication and the cold. All that combined is messing with his body and his emotions. These not excuses but are definitely contributing factors. He still has to face the consequences of his actions, but I feel like everything would be better if I could just figure out a better deal with it all.

Thankfully, the guilt was alleviated when I got home yesterday to find a smiley face in his school agenda. The early bedtime seems to have helped. We had another difficult session of math homework last night, but once that was out of the way, it was a pleasant evening. Of course, part of that might be that I went to bed as soon as dinner was over.  ;)  Both the boys seemed to be in good spirits this morning, so I'll take it as a good sign.

Tasha arrived home after I took Jonas to school this morning and is going to surprise him by picking him up at school today. We've got a low-key weekend planned, with nothing on the agenda except our company Christmas parties tonight and Saturday night, putting up the tree and decorating the house. We're not planning on getting out of our pajamas except for when Steve and I go to the parties. I'll bet it's going to be good medicine for all of us.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment