Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Reassuring Day

Wow! What a place the Special Pregnancy Program is! It was an amazing experience. I've never felt so... special... in my life. Double doctoring is reassuring to begin with but this is so much more than that.

The only downside was that it was an extremely long day, and we finished so late that the rest of the clinic was closed so I couldn't get an extra round of blood work done. (I'm going to the lab near home today to do that.) The clinic closes at 5pm and she didn't finish with me until 6pm. I suppose that's to be expected in a clinic were all the moms and dads and dealing with high-risk pregnancies. We're all full of worry, enhanced by bad experiences, so we have a lot of questions and need reassurance.

Reassuring is the best word I can use to describe my experience yesterday. The results were all good. baby, placenta, cervix, uterus lining and mom are all healthy. They are extremely thorough. They took a detailed history, have requested our medical records from Jonas, Owen, the baby we lost after Owen, my spinal surgery report from 1994, and all of the testing we completed at Mount Sinai back in 2005. They are duplicating every blood test I've had so far and doing a whole bunch more so they can have a more complete picture of what's going on in there.

Speaking of pictures, the best part for me was having another ultrasound. How times have changed! When I've had previous ultrasounds, the technician wouldn't say a thing or let me see the screen until they were finished with their basic checks and sure everything was ok. We found out we lost our last baby after we had an ultrasound in which the tech said and showed nothing, but reported immediately to my OB, who called me at home later. That memory gave me a twinge of anxiety yesterday but, as with the ultrasound we had a couple of weeks ago, the technicians are very forthcoming. I watched the monitor from second one and both the technicians explained what they were seeing and measuring as they went along, reassuring me every step of the way. VERY cool!

At 16 weeks, BB is healthy, active and NOT an octopus!
This is getting close to the time in the pregnancy when we lost our last baby so it's a little worrisome. They still don't know what happened to that baby or to Owen so they're erring on the side of caution. 7 years have gone by since then and their understanding of how these things work has improved greatly in that time. The OBs are debating doing weekly ultrasounds, but we're going to wait for two weeks to do the next one, so the two doctors can be coordinated along with all the blood work. Actually, they're going to do two that week - one with my OB near home and another, more detailed one, at Mount Sinai. They've also added a daily calcium supplement and low-dose aspirin to help ensure the health of the placenta, and are looking for what seems to be a needle in a haystack by combing through all those old records.

Before we finished last night, we spoke about a schedule of visits at the clinic. She said she'd like to see me weekly but understands that it's a long way for me to go to get there. I told her I don't care. I'll do what we need to do to keep this pregnancy on track. Besides, I'm not about to turn down the opportunity to see BB more often. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment