Friday, September 2, 2011

Couch Potato to a Runner?


A few years ago, as part of yet another New Years Resolution, I bought a brand new pair of expensive running shoes (aren't they pretty!) to go with my brand new expensive gym membership. Neither of them got much use. I paid the gym cancellation fee and the shoes were relegated to the back of the closet, only to see the light of day again when the cats got in there and attacked the laces. I overestimated my ability to balance my work-family-social life and another overzealous goal bit the dust.

Today is day one of my journey to become healthy and fit.  So far so good. My grocery list is in my purse ready for shopping on the way home, so I can stock up on healthy snacks and lunches for the office. I drank about 5 glasses of water at work today and even managed to leave my desk for long enough today to eat lunch!  It's early days but that's not a bad start. One step at a time, right?

Before I left for work this morning, I pulled those shoes out of closet and dusted the cat hair off of them. When I get home tonight I'm going to start my new running program. Why running? Because I want to be and a good role model for my family. Running is cheap, easy simple, I can do it just about anywhere and anytime, and I can do with Jonas in tow. Not to mention that I already have the shoes.

I'm going to start by following the "Couch to 5K Running Plan". It's creators bill it as less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program, with each session taking about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months. I like the sound of that!

Here's what Week One looks like:

WeekWorkout 1Workout 2Workout 3
1Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.


I think I can manage that. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment