Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Crab Dance

When Steven got home last night, his eyes were wide and he cringed a little when he asked Jonas how his day went.  It seems that they both forgot about Jonas's ADHD meds in the morning. Ooops!

Frankly, I didn't believe him. Jonas had a great day. He got 27/30 on his daily math drill, a smiley face in his agenda and came out of school with a big smile on his face. Actually it was a huge vampire smile. (His teacher gave him the goodie bag he missed getting on Hallowe'en because he was home with the flu.) We had a fabulous evening too. He did his chores and his homework without any fuss. Dinner was uneventful, except that Jonas ate his whole bowl of chili instead of picking at it and saying he wasn't hungry.  (In retrospect, that was a clear sign that he had not had his pill.) The boys happily played their new video game together in the basement while I puttered upstairs, even the call for bedtime was fine.

I've been going to bed before Jonas the last little while, so at bedtime he comes upstairs, brushes his teeth and then comes into our room to snuggle with me for a little bit before heading to his room. As I lay there waiting for him to finish brushing, I thought to myself  "Wow. A good day - including school - with no meds. We haven't had one of those in, well, forever. Maybe we've had a break though!" 

And then he crawled into bed and the next 45 minutes shattered my illusion of a breakthrough.

Instead of snuggling up like he usually does, he whispered "Mom, have you ever seen a crab dance?" Before I could respond, he stood up, spread his legs apart, held up his hands and started shuffling all around the bed singing "Crabby, crabby, crabby. I am so crabby!" Or something like that. Honestly, I was a little too distracted trying to protect BGB and I from him falling on us to listen to all the lyrics. After what seemed like an eternity, when I finally got him to lie down, he regaled me with the evolutionary life cycle of the crab. I missed a few evolutionary steps along the way, but apparently they start off as eggs, then morph into a "long thingies with eyes and suckers", then grow into starfish, then transform into blobs and then finally turn into crabs.

"Where'd you learn that?" I asked. He then prattled on about Futurama, his friends at school and their "club". I'm not sure how that all fits together but when he finally took a breath, I told him that it was past his bedtime. "Ok." He agreed. I got a huge hug and a kiss, as did BGB, and then he got off the bed and did the crab walk shuffle into his room. I'm pretty sure I heard him singing the crabby song when BGB and I got up for a midnight snack too.

The joys of ADHD are never ending!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey...at least he has good taste in animated television shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww sounds cute, but I'm sure it's not when it's your child :)

    ReplyDelete