Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Queendom for a good night's sleep!

When they told me that one of the side effects of Jonas' ADHD meds is trouble sleeping, I nearly cried. I don't think I've had a solid night sleep since I started living with a boy. (Yes, I snore too, but that's beside the point. I don't keep me awake when I do it!) I certainly haven't had one since I gave birth, broke my shoulder this past summer, or since the litter of kittens arrived in November. And I definitely have not slept well since Jonas started his ADHD meds. I'm pooped!

Ever since he was a newborn, we've been blessed with Jonas and sleep. Except for a rough patch when he was about four, he has never had trouble sleeping. He usually takes a while to settle down to sleep, and wants to keep talking after bedtime stories are finished. We've tackled that by making a habit of talking about three more things after the story is done: the best part of the day, the worst part of the day, and how we're going to make tomorrow better. After that, it's lights out. He has the occasional nightmare, and he's inherited my family's gene for talking in our sleep, but as a general rule, he sleeps very well.

This medication is messing with that and I'm not sure how long I can stand it!!

Today we conquered the beast! He was out within half an hour of going to bed. It could be that his body is getting used to the meds, or all the fresh air and exercise today, or the lack of Christmas sweets the last few days, or... WHO CARES! I'll take it!

Jonas sleeps just like his Dad - deep and sweaty. Normally,
we could drive a firetruck through his room and he wouldn't wake up.
Of course, that doesn't mean I'll sleep but is one less obstacle. Thank you Lord!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment