Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Apple and the Tree

This might sound corny, but I love getting lunches and after school snacks ready for my kids. Even though it can be rushed, and they sometimes complain, it makes me feel good. I'm no Martha Stewart but preparing and having a meal ready for them when they get home from school is very satisfying. I don't know if it's a sense of accomplishment from checking something off the To Do list, or a sense of anticipation about the conversation during the feast. Maybe it's just having them home in the nest again, or maybe it it has something to do with passing on family traditions like tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on rainy days such as today. Whatever it is, feeding our families is primal and there's something about it that nurtures my soul.

When my son was a newborn, we tried and tried but he just wouldn't latch consistently. We compromised with pumping and bottles. I don't mention this to crank up the breast-feeding wars. That's a nasty battle that I want no part of ever again. I got caught in the middle of it and it made me feel like a failure. I remember sitting on a bench in the mall giving him a bottle when he was about 4 weeks old. An older gentleman walking by stopped to say "You know, if you feed that kid like you feed yourself he's going to be fat too." I was speechless. Nurses, pediatricians, family and even complete strangers had strong opinions and weren't above lecturing me about them. All I wanted to do was feed my child. If one more person grabbed my boob and tried to show me how to do it, or condemned me for even considering formula, I might be incarcerated now. Thank God that's over!

Instead of wearing prison orange over breast or bottle, I now get to listen to other people's opinions about ADHD. Just like the breastfeeding debate, there are strong opinions on both sides. We're going to have to grow thicker skins and wade our way through them to make the best choices we can for our family.

Food is still an issue too. Navigating through kids ever changing taste buds and appetites can be challenging, but more often than not, the actual food is easy part...

Those of you who know me, know that I am prone to accidents, especially in the kitchen. Something always seems to go wrong, and it's usually me being short-sighted or absent-minded. Last night for example I forget that we have high water pressure in our house so it rained in the kitchen when I did the dishes. The upside is that we now have a clean floor and cupboards again. 

And this morning, the kitchen is really, REALLY clean. Today's kitchen disaster is brought you by a very excited seven year old, who tried to open his yogurt container while telling animated action story, the climax of which was a sword thrust up into the air, causing the yogurt, a glass of milk and a bowl of shredded wheat to instantly explode. It looked like a cow threw up in there! Not a great way to start the day. I told him so. I told him so. I told him so.

I also helped make him so.

As we go through the process of learning about ADHD, I'm finding out more and more just how alike we are. The professionals tell us ADHD is hereditary and I'm beginning to think they are right. He's inherited a lot of his challenges from me. I try to keep a sense of humor when I have one of those moments and maybe that's going to be one of the secrets to helping him get through this ADHD thing. What a revelation!



So, instead of getting upset this morning I thought to myself that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Then I smiled and finished cleaning up the mess.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. o.k seriously...your profile pic does not look like you!! It took me a sec to figure it out ;)
    love me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Maybe that's because it's been too long since we've seen each other!
    love,
    jacs

    ReplyDelete