Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ADHD Meds - Day 3

Jonas woke up this morning his wonderful, cheerful, talkative, bouncy self. Me? Not so much. We all slept much better last night. It only took a little while for him to fall asleep and he didn't stir again until my husband got up for work this morning. Thank goodness. My tank is running pretty low and I'm not sure how I'd cope with another sleepless night.

The biggest trauma yesterday was just getting the pill down. Getting a seven year old to swallow a pill isn't quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. Frankly, I've had an easier time with cats. How could such a tiny thing create such a nightmare of gagging, spitting, crying and, I'm ashamed to admit, yelling. It made us all question whether it was worth it. Talk about increasing the parental guilt factor! I felt like the Wicked Witch of the West.


Today was much better. The broomstick is back in the closet. We stirred the pill into a glass of water, as per the "alternate" directions, and it was no problem. The taste was a major issue yesterday. I was worried that would be worse today but, with a smile on his face, the young man said "That was pretty good!" What a relief!

I did wonder a few times yesterday if maybe he was over-medicated, but those moments were fleeting, and could well have been caused by a mostly sleepless night. Hopefully that's all it is. A quiet, still, awake Jonas is not something I am used to. Maybe it's like when a baby first starts to sleep through the night. A first you think there must be something wrong. At other times his response to situations was a far less enthusiastic than it usually is and it again made me wonder. It sounds silly, doesn't it, to want a child to be less hyper and impulsive and then to be worried about them having less energy? We want to help him focus better but we don't want to suck his spirit out of him.

The pediatrician and pharmacist say we need to give it 2-3 weeks to fairly assess. It's only been 36 hours so it's still early days, but I'm encouraged by the fact that the little guy doing his on-line reading homework beside me right now isn't stressed out like he usually is at homework time. Neither is his mom. ;)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment