Friday, March 22, 2013

Washing off the Blood Spatter

It's been an exhausting 8 weeks. Life with a newborn and a 9 year old boy with ADHD is wonderful but REALLY tiring. She's sleeping better but still on a newborn schedule, and Jonas has had a rough week at school. I've hit the invisible wall that all parents of newborns come to. I tried to phone it in on Jonas last night and it came back to bite me in the butt.

After falling into bed for a few hours of much needed sleep, while Steve took his usual late night feeding shift, I awoke to the sound of Jonas crying in the hallway at 12:26am. Without turning the lights on, I asked what was wrong. He said "A chair fell on me." He was sobbing and, since there is no chair anywhere near where he was sleeping, I assumed that he had just had a nightmare. He said his lip hurt so, trying to keep my eyes closed and at least pretend I was still sleeping, I suggested that he get a glass of water. (A cure all remedy from my own childhood.)

Then he said "It makes the blood taste worse."

Wait. What? Blood? Blood!

Queue the instantaneous alert status.

Did you know that kids' faces bleed a lot when they're cut? I forgot for a moment. I actually, truthfully considered that he might have had a run-in with some Freddy Kruger-like creature from the netherworld.

Long, blood-spatter story cut short, he somehow managed to scratch his cheek and lip while pretend camping' on his bedroom floor in his sleeping bag. In retrospect, Freddy Kruger is low on the suspect list. More likely it was his finger nail, the sleeping bag zipper, the handle on his crank flashlight or his cat.

Regardless of the culprit, he's going to tell the kids at school "You should see the other guy!" That ought to put a damper on the bullying.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment