Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Three Things

It's been a week of ouchies and colds in our house. Nothing life-altering. We've missed school, work and Scouts, and everything else is a little off-track too. As a result, I'm celebrating Thankful Thursday this week, instead of Thankful Tuesday. It seems especially appropriate to think about such things today, the day before my birthday. 41 years on this planet and so many blessings to be grateful for.

This week, three of the things I've been most grateful for:
  • That I'm over the hill and not under it. Lupus started to put up a bit a fight a couple of years ago and there have been moments when I wasn't sure where that battle was heading. Whenever I start to feel like I did when the last Lupus flare-up happened, even because of something like a cold or flu, my worry gland goes into hyperdrive. It doesn't take long before those primal instincts start kicking in and I get determined to NEVER let that upper hand go without putting up a hell of a fight of my own.
  • Video games. I don't enjoy video games personally, but they are one of the things Steve and Jonas bond over. They both especially enjoy strategy games. They're current favourite is a game called "Portal 2". It's billed as "a hilariously mind-bending adventure that challenges you to use wits over weaponry in a funhouse of diabolical science... Break the laws of spatial physics in ways you never thought possible, with a wider variety of portal puzzles and an expansive story that spans a single player and co-operative game mode." Like a lot of parents, we worry about the impact of too much screen time and have strict limits in place but, I have to admit that I love watching to them play together. While the video game scenario plays out on the screen, the father-son dynamic is in full gear and it brings me joy to be a witness to it.
  • Homemade birthday cake for breakfast. It isn't good for my physical health but it sure does wonders for my emotional health. Tomorrow is my 41st birthday and also a school PA day, so  Jonas and I are going to spend the day together. When I got to the office this morning, the girls had gone all out. The office was decorated, everyone signed a card, one of the guys bought lunch and my boss made a homemade birthday cake. Rainbow chip with chocolate AND vanilla icing AND strawberries. Yumm!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment